- Untried Ways to Prepare for the IELTS Exam - to get Band 9
- Why is getting IELTS Band 9 so hard for some students?
- Practical tips to help you get Band 9 in IELTS or CLB 9 in IELTS exams.
Untried Ways to Prepare for the IELTS Exam – to get Band 9
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) checks your language skills. It is used by people/students to secure admission or a work permit in English-speaking countries. All English-speaking countries such as the UK, Canada, USA, Australia & New Zealand, and some European countries require you to obtain the requisite band in the IELTS exams if you wish to go there. This blog will help you with the topic, ‘how to score 9 in IELTS’
Different countries have different band requirements for granting the visa. But if you get IELTS Band 9, then chances are that you’ll open doors to gain entry in many countries of the world.
You can obtain a Canadian visa quickly if you score CLB 9 in IELTS. But many students wonder ‘how to score 9 in IELTS. With proper training and preparation, it is straightforward.
Why is getting IELTS Band 9 so hard for some students?
Getting IELTS Band 9/CLB 9 IELTS is problematic because it tests you in four spheres: reading, listening, writing, and Speaking.
IELTS exams test you for the skills like listening, speaking, reading, and writing. IELTS is graded based on scales or bands, where 1 means the lowest grade and 9 represents the highest grade. If you think that getting an IELTS Band 9 or CLB 9 IELTS is difficult, think again.
At Avik Overseas, we attempt to impart the best training for IELTS so that you can secure great bands and move to the country of your choice. With our
Students are often confused about which IELTS exam is right for them- Academic or General. This brings us to the second most asked question, that is:
Which test should you appear for IELTS Academic or IELTS General?
If you aim to go abroad for studies, you should aim to crack IELTS Academic, whereas if you desire to go overseas for work, you should appear for IELTS General. Both tests have similar formats; just the ‘reading’ and ‘writing’ modules differ based on selected options.
For more information about the test format, you can visit the official IELTS website.
Cracking IELTS exams with Band 9 is a big deal, but if you study strategically, then the job becomes relatively easy.
What is CLB? What is the relevance of IELTS bands to CLB?
IELTS is the essential criteria if you wish to go abroad, but apart from that, each country has its own set of guidelines for granting the visa. In the case of Canada, this is looked after by the ‘Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB).’ The body defines the national standards used in Canada for defining, recognizing, and quantifying English language proficiency.
The CLB scores range from 1 to 12. Here’s a table showing how CLB considers IELTS scores. Generally, a CLB IELTS 9 score is sufficient to get a Canadian visa.
practical tips to help you get Band 9 in IELTS or CLB 9 in IELTS exams.
Here’s the answer to the most asked question, ‘how to score 9 in IELTS.
Regular coaching classes will teach you how to get 9 Bands in IELTS or CLB Band 9. Apart from the study material, you can employ the following techniques if you wish to enhance your English language proficiency skills.
These techniques are not mentioned in textbooks but are valuable for scoring Band 9 in IELTS/CLB9 IELTS.
The best way to improve your language skills is through listening. You can subscribe to Ted X Talks on YouTube, read English newspapers, listen to English podcasts, etc.
Here are a few more practical tips to excel in IELTS to get IELTS Band 9/CLB 9 IELTS. This will answer your question, ‘how to score 9 in IELTS’.
- Listen to English songs with the captions on. This drastically improves reading and listening skills. Try to sing a song. This can help to improve your pronunciation also. Don’t bother whether you can sing nicely or not. (Don’t blame us if you face criticism from your family members or neighbors)
- To enhance your vocabulary skills, take a look at the song’s lyrics and replace them with synonyms or antonyms. This will also help in improving listening and pronunciation skills.
- Try to solve crossword puzzles and word searches, and it is a great way to check your spelling and add new vocabulary.
- “To rip the evil in the bud” Well, the phrase ‘to rip the evil in the bud’ means to solve the problem before it becomes too complicated. Idioms about sport and perseverance are helpful in the ‘speaking’ module of IELTS. Slowly you will get used to it.
- In essay writing, try to be concise and logical; try to use good vocabulary.
- You don’t need to sit with books or in front of a computer to study for IELTS. Simply by listening to good podcasts, you can improve your listening skills and vocabulary.
- Practice completing a summary of the text in an IELTS Reading module because, in the case of the summary-completion tasks, the answers appear in the haphazard format.
- Try to use phrasal verbs correctly in your Speaking module. This may help you to sound more natural and improve your IELTS Speaking band score.
Isn’t the above method straightforward to follow to get 9 Bands in IELTS/CLB 9 in IELTS?
To enrich your vocabulary, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Understand the test format. You have four different sections. Familiarise yourself with the types of questions asked in the exams.
- IELTS is divided into different modules. So you must complete them in the allotted time.
- Prepare strategies and enhance your English speaking capabilities.
- You need to practice more listening skills because the things are not repeated twice. So it is necessary to understand the accent. The point to be noted is that you need to understand the accent, and you are not expected to speak in that accent.
- Develop your reading skills. In the IELTS Reading module, they test your ability to absorb the gist, skim the content for main points, and understand the logical argument and opinions of the writer.
Based on the text you read, you need to provide short answers, match the information, complete the sentences, or complete the diagrams. If you can’t skim the content, you will have to read the matter many times, proving to be a hurdle in completing the task within the assigned time.
Writing modules require familiarity with formal language. It consists of two tests:
- Task 1 requires that you describe and explain data, which you’ll be an expert at; this needs significant practice in English.
- Task 2 presents a variety of challenges. This is because you are given a complex topic to check how you can converse. The essay must have the correct structure like the introduction, different paragraphs, and finally, the conclusion. The introduction should be exceedingly catchy. It can be a fact, a statistic, or a story. Anything that catches the intention.
Along with the appropriate language, familiarize yourself with charts and graphs tables to ensure that you can interpret them correctly. This will help you to elaborate on them properly in the paper.
To prepare for Task 2, you can use tools like Grammarly to tell you about your essay’s grammatical mistakes and tone. Before writing the essay, you should prepare a rough sketch, draw a mind map of ideas, and elaborate on them. It can go a long way in achieving your goal of going abroad and answering your question, ‘how to get nine bands in IELTS.’
Connecting the ideas is more important, so try to use transition words between the paragraphs and maintain the smooth flow of the document. As a general practice, you can view past papers of IELTS and practice them. That can help you to get BAND 9 in the IELTS exams.
Practice all types of essays like:
- Agree or disagree type essays
- Discussing different opinions and offering a critical evaluation
- Benefits and losses of something
- Solutions and problems
- Cause and effect etc
It would help if you continued writing practice till it comes to you naturally. If you use all the tidbits above, we can assure you that you will get IELTS Band 9/CLB 9 in IELTS. Regular coaching with a bit of hard work from your side can go a long way in achieving success.
After reading this, are you feeling that we have answered your question regarding- ‘how to get 9 bands in IELTS? If yes, do let us know in the comment section.